Saturday, April 30, 2011

What am I doing, and why? And most importantly, what's for dinner?

So, what am I doing? Going with my husband (Joe) and mom-in-law for two weeks to South Korea. Now the why; it is not as simple.
I was born in Savannah, GA and have lived a fairly sheltered Southern life up until about 2 years ago. Joe and I decided to learn his mother's native language, Korean, and to experience everything about the culture and people.
The Korean language is tricky to navigate, but Joe and I are enjoying it. We are excited to try and use our rudimentary language skills in Korea. But let's be honest, a culture is mostly discovered through its food. And maybe no culture more so than Korean.
Koreans love their food. Love! And until 2 years ago, I had never really tried it. Before now, I hate to admit it, but I liked, you know, American food. Pretty exclusively. I was raised on cheesy casseroles and meat and potatoes. (I come from the land of Paula Dean!) I was a picky eater who would choose a dish I knew over trying something different any day.
But then I became surrounded by wonderfully friendly Korean women who would spread huge meals before me, dishes I could not recognize. And then they sat down and watched me and my awkward chopstick skills. What to do? What could I do? I ate.
I won't say it was love at first bite, or second or third, but I kept trying the dishes. And now, (chopstick skills greatly improved!) I can rattle off a list of my favorite Korean dishes and am looking forward to eating my way around Korea. I have fallen in love with Korean culture! And I want to share the trip here.
So, 'oh-so-oh-say-yo!' ('Welcome' in Korean) to my blog.

So many dishes, so little time

2 comments:

  1. Awesome--so you WILL be blogging from Han-guk-world! (Love the title, by the way, hehe...) So, from Paula Dean to Po-jang-ma-cha (you HAVE to go to one of those), this is THE adventure. Do you remember when you came up to Seattle all those years ago--I was so impressed that you tried INDIAN food with us! With all those years of growing up together behind us (remember those nights at Taco Bell in Martinez?), that was my first inkling that one day you would venture into more daring culinary territory. Happy travels, happy eating...and we can't wait to see/read all about it! With all of the "pee-shee-bahng" in Korea, you've no excuse to not keep us up-to-date! Chal-ka! Na-jung-eh bop-shee-da!
    --your amigos in Tucson

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Indian food was really good, by the way! :)
    Aw, Taco Bell! Good times, good times. You never forget your roots, no matter how humble!

    ReplyDelete