Saturday, June 11, 2011

Where we go from here

Ok: I had several good thoughts about Korea today. To be honest, I haven't had that many since we have been home. I was a bit premature thinking that last Sunday would be close to the end of our jet lag. The whole week has been a kind of rough. Both of us have been in strange sleeping and eating patterns. We have been awake at 3 am eating cheerios and watching infomercials. Then trying to function during the day.
Also surprising: I miss Korean food. That has been an unexpected development. I thought I would want pizza and tacos, but I just want rice and banchan. We have eaten it twice this week. What has Korea done to me?
Oh, jahjangmyeon...so delish.
 (fried black bean paste and noodles topped with cucumber slices)
Now that I am feeling more myself, and I am happily home munching my jajang noodle dish, I can think more rationally about my feelings about the trip, and where we go from here. Specifically regarding our language endeavors. That was really the main reason we decided to take the trip. Joe and I have reached a crossroads in our language learning. Two years in. We have the basics. Now we have to decide if we can get to that next level of communication. It is a big step.
But I think we can do it.

2 comments:

  1. Ahh, reflection...
    Language-learning--to become truly communicative--is SUCH A big investment of time and energy--mental, emotional, spiritual...never a decision to be taken lightly in adulthood...Congratulations on TWO YEARS...ALREADY!? Wow.........We're back on the mainland after our two whirlwind days on Jejudo; my mother leaves for the US tomorrow...Sara on Saturday...and me, next Tuesday...As for my Korean-language-steps--after all these years of mastering French and Spanish and 'playing' with German, I definitely feel that not having learned my mother's tongue has been one of my life's 'regrets,' if that's not too strong a word...Spending time with my uncle here has made me want to 'master' Korean even more...just--TIME!? Take care...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey guys...
    I just found out about a PBS series that will be airing nationwide later this year--
    it's too perfect for timing! Check it out:
    "The Kimchi Chronicles",
    and here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2xJ-N4rRCk&feature=player_embedded

    ReplyDelete