Sunday, May 29, 2011

Geoje and the coast

The third morning of the tour Joe and I wake a little early and remember seeing a french bakery (yes, I know, strange, but they are all over the place!) not far from our hotel so we go down before breakfast to get a cup of coffee. We walk in to the bakery and I want to do a little dance it smells so good. We get coffee and I snag a cream cheese croissant in anticipation of another Korean breakfast. It is so delicious and I eat with relish. We head back to the hotel for breakfast and walk in to see everyone eating...an American breakfast. With coffee. Apparently the tour guide and mom-in-law talked and he decided to be nice and order everyone  an American breakfast this morning. Meantime, the 'Halmony' ('Grandmother') that is with the other couple was across the street getting her eat on at a Korean place. I hated that they went out of their way but it was very nice of mom and the guide to think of us. 
We head out for a green tea farm and a plum farm. We hop back in the van and head for a folk village. It was once a movie set and is now a tourist area. It is cute and we walk around and take silly pictures while everyone stares at the strange foreigner. 
I can't imagine why they stare...
We drive for about an hour and end up at a rest area (much nicer than American rest stops) and have lunch here. Again, the guide and mom-in-law have been talking and they want me to have something I like to eat so we eat in what is essentially in a food court. I feel bad because I don't want the others to feel like they are getting put out over me. But we all have our food court fare, noodle bowls and spicy soups. We head onward. 
The coast! We are passing all sorts of fishing areas (how there can possibly be any fish or oysters left in these waters I don't know). We are now driving along the coast and it is beautiful, full of rocky cliffs and islands breaking up the sea line. The temperature has dropped and the wind picked up (saw on the news later a typhoon in Japan was probably responsible for the weather.) We get on a tour boat and take a tour of the surrounding islands. It is good, if a bit choppy.

This day never ends. We drive to a hill appropriately named “Windy Hill”. It is indeed windy.
After a while, we finally head to dinner where we have what appears to be a Korean version of one of my favorite Southern foods, hoe cake (although this one is made from ground mung bean). It is delicious and we eat it up. A pork dish rounds out the meal. 
Well, a hoe cake with some other stuff in it. And notice the fish being dissected in the background.

After dinner, we go across the street to the street to our hotel and collapse.


1 comment:

  1. HA! LOVE the photo of 'Paris and Jackie Chan' posing as a Korean couple (the heart is truly the coup de grĂ¢ce...) I should be packing for MY trip, but instead I'm reading your blog...Your food photos are fun--love the caption; isn't it amazing what chopsticks can do to a fish! Are YOUR chopstick-skills good enough to completely de-flesh a fish one-handedly? Can't wait to see/read about Jeju-do!

    ReplyDelete