Monday, May 30, 2011

On to Jeju

Ok, this tour is definitely not for the faint of heart. I am tired, cranky and I don't know where I am.
However, it is funny to note that the Halmony with our group is keeping up better than the rest of us. And she walks with a cane!
We wake up and get moving to enjoy our Korean breakfast. It is a buffet and I am in line when a man behind me asks, 'do you eat Korean food?' and I understand him and say yes. What he doesn't ask is if I want to eat Korean food...
Joe has no problems with Korean breakfast!
We eat and get a move on. Our first stop is a former POW camp, and museum about the Korean War. It is very interesting to get some background information from Joe's mom about her family and how they were affected by war. The museum is a bit graphic, but I think this is so much a part of everyone's history they are all familiar with it.
After that it is over we hit a rest stop and again, these are such nice places! Clean and lots of food choices. I grab coffee and a doughnut filled with red bean paste, and all is right with the world.
We are heading towards Gimpo airport to catch our flight to Jeju Island. Time for one last meal with our tour guide on the mainland.
Our tour group
The flight is less than one hour and we are on the somewhat tropical island of Jeju. This is a big honeymoon spot. It is so pretty. From the airport we are whisked away to 'Circus World' where there is an acrobat show and then to Camelia Hill, a nature walk with so many different kinds of plants my mom-in-law loses her mind. The weather is practically perfect.
Dinner is served early tonight, and we get to the hotel before we have lost the will to go on. Our hotel is by the ocean, so we are able to sit out on our balcony and enjoy the view and sound of the waves. This is the kind of touring I like.  

2 comments:

  1. For J&S: You should see Joe attack fish now with his mad chopstick skills! It has been served with nearly every meal. Today I attacked one myself, but ended up having to eventually dig in with my fingers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're now ON the island! You've made it! I was reading that the Wall Street Journal has called Jeju-do 'The Bali of NE Asia' in addition to its usual moniker of 'Korea's answer to Hawaii'...(It IS weird how the volcanic stone 'tol-harubang' statues there look almost Polynesian--not unlike their larger counterparts on Easter Island)...S. and I are just looking at some logistics; we MIGHT try to fit in a 3 day/2 night visit to Jeju as well--what travel agency did you use? What's your hotel? AND you have a "Room with a View!" (Cue the Italian music from the Forster novel-cum-movie)--you must post a pic! (Do you think we might cross paths at the airport on Wednesday afternoon?) Enjoy your remaining two days in the "Land of Morning Calm," a.k.a. 'the land of morning rice-and-banchan. Glad you like red-bean-filled doughnuts--you're becoming 'converted!'

    ReplyDelete